Test Drive

I normally take fotos using my trusty Nikon Coolpix A, which is a wonderful enthusiast camera with a fixed 28mm-equivalent, F2.8 lens. It has its quirks, but the lens quality is top-notch, and I've gotten some very pleasing shots with it. All of my fotos from the RC Cola plant in Miami were taken with this camera, as was the foto below, which my father took while borrowing the camera for a week.

Taken in Colorado with Nikon Coolpix A
Today, however, I had the chance to take a Nikon D3400 for a test drive. It had just a standard 18-55mm F3.5 kit lens, but it handled wonderfully. The larger size might be a problem in tight spaces (the Coolpix A can go almost anywhere with you, and doesn't weigh you down), but it gives you a HUGE leg up in terms of accessing camera functions, and while the kit lens isn't as fast as the F2.8 prime I'm used to, I find that it's much less prone to vignetting than the Coolpix. The camera produces pleasing shots with nice color, and I didn't have to do much with them in post. Below are two sample images from the produce section at my local Winn-Dixie. Not artful shots by any means, but they do show how the camera handles colors.

Sample taken with Nikon D3400

Second sample with Nikon D3400

Pretty excited to pick one of these up in the near future and up my foto game. It's an entry-level model, sure, but that should be more than enough to keep me shooting for a while before I outgrow it.

Comments